Have you ever woken up with a dry, scratchy throat and been concerned a cold is right around the corner? You’re not alone. Though a sore throat could be a symptom of the flu, bacterial infections or strep throat, it could also be caused by the dry, indoor air that comes with cold weather. With winter around the corner and the climate dropping, here are a few home remedies to help you avoid getting a sore throat this season:
1. Add moisture to the air – Running a humidifier at night helps keep congestion in the sinuses from drying out. This helps with your breathing and keeps the sore throat from showing up in the morning.
2. Blow your nose – Blowing your nose can keep the congestion out of your sinuses, which also stops any drainage from dripping down to your throat.
3. Drink a lot of water – It’s just as important to keep your body hydrated in the winter as it is in the summer. Drinking water can break up the drainage, stopping a sore throat from occurring.
4. Drink tea with honey and lemon – Tea, honey and lemon numb and soothe throats.
5. Take Vitamin C – While Vitamin C may not help soothe a sore throat, it will help fight off a potential cold if you notice symptoms coming.
6. Rest your voice – If you woke up with a sore throat, avoid cheering, yelling or singing for a couple days or until you feel your throat isn’t sore.
Treatment for Sore Throat in Severn River, Maryland
Dr. Kleiman provides patients throughout Annapolis and Severn River with a diagnosis and proper treatment if you are suffering from a sore throat.